Image by Dan4th via Flickr
Listing my dreams the other day made me realize how ill-defined some of them are. Seriously – “change the world for the better”? How do you start doing that?
The “just-plan-and-do” dreams are so easy in comparison and when I listed them I realized that many of them I started working on years ago and they are now work in progress.
However, the “need-to-be-better-defined” dreams are the tricky ones. Thinking about it, this must be where the border goes between those who just dream and those who actually try to make their dreams their reality. It takes a lot of effort trying to figure out how to change the world and the prospect would be too daunting for many people I assume. For me at least it has been for many years (33 years to be specific). But no more of that for me now for reasons previously elaborated on.
Time to start interpreting that BIG dream of mine and breaking it down to smaller, actionable items (Oh how I hate that word, actionable, but it is important! I need to take action, not just dream, so I guess I had better get used to some words I dislike as well).
Dream: “Change the world for the better”
Well, first and foremost, what do I mean by better? I think for me the most important components of a better world are improved access to education, increased awareness and actions for the protection of the environment and protection of basic human rights for all citizens of the world. It is also, not so surprisingly, a world where people matter more than their possessions.
Changing the world, how does one person do that? Well, I might be naive (in fact a lot of people, including myself, believe that I am. I am proud not to be a cynic), but I truly believe that one person with a belief can have a lot of influence. Especially these days with access to information technology, the opportunity for one person on a mission to reach out and have a broader impact has improved significantly. But I believe you have to start by changing yourself, as this is the only person you can control.
So for my goal to change the world for the better, a first draft of a to-do-list could look something like this:
- Put on paper the goals you have for your own child’s education
- If necessary, update your plan for your child’s education to align with goals.
- Go through household and identify non environmentally friendly practices (recycling, household chemicals, food, energy consumption, energy source, means of transportation, overall consumption).
- Remedy those practices so that own household is in line with basic value of awareness and actions for the environment.
- Learn as much about the current state of the world as possible yourself. Can you sign up for an education, a training or volunteer opportunity that will teach you more? You don’t want to be this guy.
- Read the UN Declaration of Human Rights
- Reflect on what possessions mean to you. And on what people mean to you.
Hm, suddenly it became quite concrete. I will start out by visualizing and planning for my children’s education. Not because we don’t already have a plan, because we do, but because the plan is incomplete, and because the core of what you want for your child/ren is what you most probably want for the children of the world too.
Will keep you posted on progress.
What would your BIG dream look like if you started to break it down into a concrete to-do-list? Please share with me, I always find stories about other people’s dreams very inspiring.